Monday, November 11, 2013

Update 3

 After the the food pellet from the last week
was completely used up by all the microorganisms in the micro aquarium, things started to settle back down.

 It was much more difficult to find organisms
in the aquarium except for around some of the major features such as the plants, sides, and
surface of the water. I managed to get a few good pictures of some Amoebas (Top and Middle). I managed to capture one of them just as it had captured a cyanobacteria (Middle). 



As I looked around, I found a large grouping
of an unidentified cyanobactira (Bottom).
Dr. McFarland and I searched for a very long time, but could not come to a satisfactory conclusion. The closest comparison we came to was an Oscillatoria (Smith, 1933) of some kind, but it did not match any of them close enough.

 Though we could not figure out what type of
cyanobacteria it was. I would assume it is of
the many types that have at least been seen
by other scientists, but because of how diverse
nature really is, it may even be an unclassified
type of cyanobacteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment