Monday, November 18, 2013

Update 4

The final week of observations:
 Even though our observations of the project is
wrapping up, I continue to find more unique individual organisms that I had not seen before.
As with the cyanobacteria that I posted last week,
I did not recognize many of the smaller organisms
in my micro aquarium as living cells instead of
assuming they were from internal contents of
other cells.

This week I found a nice example of
Closterium sp. [upper right]
(Ward and Whipple,1918). This is a small
micro algae.

When I looked along the side of my aquarium,
I could see a worm-like creature moving along
the seal. It was a segmented worm,
Aeoleosoma sp. [bottom right]
(Ward and Whipple, 1918), a member of the
phylum Annelida. It was easy to see its internal organs when it was not obscured
by some of the soil clumps that were nearby.
The yellow spots that you can see on the head and down the body are pigment clusters common to this organism.

No comments:

Post a Comment